STUDENT FERPA RIGHTS AT CARTERET COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Under The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the federal law that governs release of and access to student education records, students at Carteret Community College have the following rights:
1. The right to inspect and review your education record within a reasonable time after Carteret Community College (CCC) receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the Registrar's Office to make appropriate arrangements.
2. The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the CCC official responsible for the record.
3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with "legitimate educational interests."
A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official is:
(1) performing a task that is specified in his or her position description or contract agreement;
(2) performing a task related to a student's education;
(3) performing a task related to the discipline of a student, or
(4) providing a service or benefit relating to the student, or student's family,
such as healthcare, counseling, job placement, or financial aid.
Examples of people who may have access, only within the context of their official duties are, CCC faculty and staff, agents of the College, students who are employed by CCC or serve on official institutional committees, and representatives of agencies under contract with Carteret Community College.
Release of student information is generally not done at Carteret Community College without written consent of the student. There are, however, some exceptions.
For example, directory information includes the following and may be released without the student's consent: name, address, telephone number, date/place of birth, major, fields of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, email address, and current enrollment status (including full-time/part-time, withdrawn).
Please note, you have the right to withhold the release of the above directory information. To do so, you must complete a "Request for Non-Disclosure of Directory Information," which is available online at the CCC website. However, please note two details regarding placing a "No Release" on your record:
(1) CCC receives many inquires for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution, including prospective employers, news media, and honor societies. Having a "No Release" on your record will preclude release of such information, even to those people.
(2) A "No Release" applies to all elements of directory information on your record. CCC does not apply a "No Release" differentially to the various directory information data elements.
A copy of the Act, more details about your rights, and any CCC policies related to the Act are available from the Office of the Registrar. Questions concerning FERPA should be referred to Susan Smith, Registrar, Carteret Community College, at (252) 222-6152 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release for Non-Disclosure of Directory Information