Admissions for International Students

Carteret Community College is pleased that you have decided to apply for admission.  To come to the United States and attend college, you must obtain a form I-20 from an institute of higher learning, which will allow you to apply for an F-1 or M-1 visa through your nearest American embassy or consulate.

Please read carefully and follow the checklist below.


  • Submit an online application for admission at
  • To complete some program requirements, submit official secondary school transcripts and certified English translation from a recognized service such as World Education Services: Records should include courses taken, grades received and degrees, diplomas or certificates earned.
  • To complete some program requirements, submit higher education (university or training program) transcripts and certified English translation from a recognized service such as World Education Services: Records should include courses taken, grades received and degrees, diplomas or certificates earned.
  • For applicants from a non-native English speaking country, official Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper), 213 (computer), or 64 for Internet Based test (iBT) sent from Educational Testing Services are required.  Computer based tests are only valid two years from the test date.
  • Submit confidential financial statement including sponsor’s affidavit of financial support and an official letter in English from sponsor’s bank verifying that there are sufficient funds (see below chart) available for applicant to complete one year of study (Fall, Spring, and Summer terms). This letter must be on bank stationary and signed by a bank official and notarized by a notary public. The letter must include the date account was opened, current account balance, and a current exchange rate or US dollar equivalent.


**Tuition/Fees $9,660.00
Books/Supplies $1,995.00
Transportation $8,520.00
Personal Expenses $2,490.00
Room/Board $12,101.00
SEVIS Registration $200.00
Total $34,966.00

** Tuition and fees are fixed costs subject to increase at any time by the N.C. State Legislature or the Carteret Community College Board of Trustees. The other items are estimates and should be considered as the minimum.



  • School generates the I-20 and sends it to the student.
  • Student takes the I-20 to an American Embassy or Consulate for an interview and obtains an F-1 or M-1 visa no earlier than 90 days before the reporting date on the I-20.
  • Student presents the I-20 and visa at the U. S. Port of Entry no more than 30 days before the program start date on the I-20.
  • The I-20, visa and passport must be provided to the admissions office prior to registration.
  • The student must maintain full-time status (12 credit hours) every fall and spring semester.
  • The student must know the expiration date of the I-20, visa and passport. The visa can only be renewed outside the US in your home country. The passport can be renewed in the US by your home country embassy.

International Students in Distance Learning Courses

At this time, Carteret Community College is not authorized to provide distance learning to individuals residing outside of North Carolina or the United States of America and its territories.

Eligible Programs

Carteret Community College invites international students to participate with the following eligible degree programs:

  • College Transfer programs (2 year): Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Fine Arts.
  • Associate in Applied Science programs (2 year): Aquaculture Technology, Baking and Pastry Arts, Business Administration, Computer Information Technology, Criminal Justice Technology, Culinary Arts Technology, Early Childhood Education, Emergency Medical Science, General Occupational Technology, Healthcare Business Informatics, Hospitality Management Technology, Medical Assisting (degree program only), Medical Office Administration, Office Administration, Paralegal Technology, Photographic Technology, Web Technology.

There are no diploma or certificate options available. 

For additional information on immigration and/or international student visas, please contact:

US Customs and Immigration Enforcement

For additional information on admissions or immigration/visa status, please contact:

Mark Johnson, International Student Advisor

E-mail: Phone: (252) 222-6148