Degree Programs Admissions Site
Admissions Office Home
Career and College Promise
Health Science Admissions
International Student Admissions
Military Residency Information
NC Residency Information
New Student Orientation
Returning Student Admissions
Special Credit Admissions
Transfer Student Admissions
Tuition and Fees
Placement Testing Information
1.) DO I NEED TO TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST?
-- Every student, with a few exemptions, must take the Placement Test as a part of the admissions process. Students may be tested in writing, reading, math, and computer literacy. Program of study, prior coursework, or prior testing will determine which parts of the placement test a student must take.
-- To see which placement tests are required for YOUR Program of Study, click below:
-- To see placement test equivalencies, click here: Placement Test Equivalency Table
-- The following EXEMPTIONS may waive some or all of your placement tests:
· SAT scores within 5 years that meet the following criteria:
SAT taken Pre-March 2016 = 500 in English OR 500 in Reading
SAT taken March 2016 & forward = 410 in Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
SAT taken Pre-March 2016 = 500 in Mathematics
SAT taken March 2016 & forward = 520 in Mathematics
· ACT scores within 5 years that are 22 or higher in Reading OR 18 or higher in English for English placement, and 22 or higher in the Math sections of the ACT test for math placement.
· A grade of "C" or better in a college-level English, math, or computer literacy course is obtained, or
· A grade of "C" or better in the sequential completion of college prep/developmental coursework is completed.
· A student who has graduated high school within the last 5 years meets the requirements for exemption based on "Multiple Measures" (See chart below):
* To be eligible for Multiple Measures for Placement, a high school student must complete four math courses, including Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II (or the Common Core equivalent) and one additional math course.
Eligible 4th math courses for Multiple Measures Placement are the following:
High School 4th Math Courses: Advanced Functions and Modeling, Analytical Geometry, Calculus, AP Statistics, Discrete Mathematics, Integrated Mathematics IV , Mindset, Pre-Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Trigonometry
Community College 4th Math Courses (Taken in Career & College Promise Pathways):
MAT 143 (Quantitative Literacy), MAT 151 (Statistics I), MAT 152 (Statistical Methods I), MAT 155 (Statistical Analysis), MAT 161 (College Algebra), MAT 162 (College Trigonometry), MAT 165 (Finite Mathematics), MAT 167 (Discrete Mathematics), MAT 171 (Pre-Calculus Algebra), MAT 172 (Pre-Calculus Trigonometry), MAT 175 (Pre-Calculus), MAT 200 or above
2.) AM I ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST?
· Students wishing to enroll at Carteret Community College MUST first complete an application for admission to the college before they can take the Placement Test. A student wishing to attend Carteret Community College CANNOT test without an application on file.
3.) HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST?
· The first test is FREE to all applicants. Retest fees will be applied ($2 for math, $2 for revised editing/reading, $4 for essay)
· Applicants may not test more than two times in a twelve consecutive-month period
4.) WHAT SHOULD I BRING ON TEST DAY?
· Students must arrive in Academic Support (McGee Building, Room 102) to check-in 15-20 minutes before the test time.
· All students testing in Academic Support must show a photo ID before taking any test.
· Testing materials will be provided.
5.) HOW CAN I PREPARE FOR THE PLACEMENT TEST?
· There are many websites that offer free sample tests or free tutorial services to help students prepare for the test:
Computer Literacy Placement Test-- Students should know how to use a flashdrive, manage files, edit in Microsoft Word, and attach and send files through email using Moodle.
6.) WHEN CAN I TEST?
Page Last Modified:June-09-2016
Carteret Community College
3505 Arendell Street
Morehead City, NC 28557
Phone: (252) 222-6000