TRiO – Student Support Services
TRiO is a Student Support Services (SSS) Program operating though a Federal Grant from the Department of Education. The Program is designed to provide opportunities for academic development, assist with basic college requirements, and to motivate students toward successful completion of their post-secondary education.
Student Support Services (SSS) projects also may provide grant aid to current SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants (# 84.063). The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants.
The program serves students by providing:
- Academic tutoring, which may include instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science, and other subjects.
- Advice and assistance in post secondary course selection,
- Information on both the full range of student financial aid programs and benefits (including Federal Pell Grant awards and loan forgiveness) and resources for locating public and private scholarships.
- Assistance in completing financial aid applications, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students, including financial planning for post-secondary education.
- Activities designed to assist students enrolled in two-year institutions in applying for enrollment in a four-year program of post-secondary education.
The TRiO Program may also provide grant aid to participating students who are receiving Federal Pell Grants.
The Program may also include:
- Individualized counseling for personal, career, and academic matters provided by Academic Counselors.
- Information, activities, and instruction designed to acquaint students participating in the project with a range of career options available to the students.
- Exposure to cultural events and academic workshops.
Who is eligible to participate in the TRiO Student Support Services Program?
Students enrolled at Carteret Community College who have an academic need and are:
- Low-income (Students receiving or are eligible for a Pell Grant).
- Is a First Generation College Student (meaning that neither parent graduated with a four year college degree).AND/OR
- Is an individual with a disability.
TRiO Contact Information
|Name||Job Title||Telephone Number||Email Address|
|Donna Wolff||Director of Student Support Services||(252) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Allison Daniel||TRiO Counselor||(252) email@example.com|
|Nancy VanDoren||TRiO Office Manager||(252) firstname.lastname@example.org|
For general information call (252) 222-6020
Fax # (252) 222-6023